Frequently Asked Questions

Payments and Services

How do I pay my utility bill?

You can find more information on how to pay your utility bill here.

I will be going out of town for the winter. How can I put a pause to my utility services?

Here are some guidelines for those who flock south for the winter:

• If you have City water and / or sewer, you will still be charged monthly for the base rate
• Forestry and Vector will still be charged monthly
• Trash and Recycling can be discontinued while you’re away at no charge
• Avoid late fees by paying your bill in advance or setting up ACH for automatic payments

Before you leave, contact the City with the following information:

• When you’re leaving and returning
• How you’d like to pay throughout the winter
• Your winter contact information

How can I pay for my traffic ticket?

If you were issued a traffic violation, you can pay in person at Horace City Hall, leave payment in the utility drop box, or mail your payment to:

Municipal Clerk of Court
PO Box 99
215 E Park Dr
Horace, ND 58047
How can I pay for my building permit?

If you would like to pay for your building permit, you may pay in person or pay here.
I am moving. How do I end my billing services?

We are sorry you are leaving our community. Please contact City Hall to let us know the date when service should be terminated.

Please click here for the moving away from Horace form. You will need to provide the following information:

  1. Forwarding address information
  2. Closing and moving dates


City Disposal and Public Works

Does the City pick up appliances for disposal?

Yes, the City will pick up your appliance for disposal. All you need to do is call the City with your address and one of our Public Works employees will come to your location.
My garbage container was damaged. How can I replace it?

If your garbage or recycling container has been damaged, you can now fill out the form online here.
How should I dispose of my branches?


The City of Horace offers its residents a yard waste collection site for organic materials. Residents are welcome to bring their brush, branches and other organic materials to the site for easy disposal. Please follow the list of guidelines below when using the yard waste collection site.

The City is working on an alternative solution to processing yard waste that includes composting and chipping branches and wood.  The City welcomes feedback regarding yard waste processing that can benefit Horace rather than sending material to the landfill. 

The yard waste collection site is located at 600 Park Dr. E. in Horace.

Questions can be directed to (701) 492-2972.

Please note:

The dumpsters are NOT for resident trash.  

Do not place anything other than yard waste in these receptacles. 

Who provides garbage and recycling services?

Trash and recycling services are provided through Waste Management. Waste Management is the largest environmental solutions provider and recycler in North America, serving 21 million municipal, commercial and industrial customers including the City of Horace.

Normal garbage and recycling collection days in Horace are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Holidays may affect this schedule and will be announced on the website and social media; however, unless there is an announcement, collection days will not change.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your trash and recycling services, please call the City at (701) 492-2972.


When does the City spray for mosquitoes?

Cass County Vector Control (CCVC) checks for and eradicates larvae which makes up for about 70-90% of the mosquito population. Cass County Vector Control also checks three adult mosquito traps that are located in the City of Horace several times a week. When the count rises above 50 mosquitoes per trap, the City schedules mosquito spraying. Weather conditions may affect this schedule, as spraying is only effective when the temperature is between 50-85 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is between 3-10 mph. 

Licenses and Permits

How do I obtain a raffle permit?

For charitable raffles and gaming, or special events serving alcohol within the Horace city limits, a local event permit/restricted event permit must be acquired prior to the event. You may fill out the application online and email it to Please click here for the online application form.

You may also call City Hall with any questions at (701) 492-2972

How can I obtain a liquor license?

Every business or person, who intends to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages within city limits, please call City Hall at 701-492-2972 to inquire about a liquor license application.

Any person who intends to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages must be licensed by the Attorney General. Submit the required application forms at least four to six weeks before you wish to engage in the retail sale of alcoholic beverages. Applications received after December 31, 2020, will not be granted a temporary license.  

To apply for a new state retail alcoholic beverage license, complete and submit the following:

  1. Application for a State Retail Alcoholic Beverage License(SFN 11066) and the appropriate license fee.
  2. Personal Information Form(SFN 10866) for any owner, manager, officer, director, shareholder, member, governor, or partner. 
    • ​​A Personal Information form must be submitted every time there is a change in the owner, manager, officer, director, shareholder, member, governor, or partner of a licensee, and every individual must complete an updated form every five years.
      • If an individual has lived outside of North Dakota during the last five years, contact the Licensing section at (701) 328-2329 for additional instructions.
      • If an individual was born outside of the United States, documentation of legal residency of the United States must be provided. 
  1. Alcoholic Beverage Floor Plan(SFN 14985) 
    • The floor plan delineates the area to be licensed and must include the dimensions of the rooms/area to be licensed. Alcoholic beverages may only be sold/dispensed within the licensed area.
      • To amend the floor plan for an existing licensed location, complete and submit an updated form. 
  1. A copy of the beer and/or liquor licenses issued from the local city, county, or tribal authority in the applicant's name. 
    • If the business is in an organized township, also complete and submit the Township Board Consentform (SFN 14337).
  2. A copy of the most recent health inspection report and fire safety inspection report for the premises to be licensed. For the health inspection, contact the local health district unit. For the fire inspection, contact the local fire department. A local fire department may complete its own inspection report or use the Assembly Occupancy Inspection (SFN 16838).
    • The State Fire Marshal's office will review all submitted fire inspection reports and floor plans to ensure the building meets current fire safety requirements and is fully compliant. Any items marked non-compliant on a report or noted as deficient by the State Fire Marshal must be corrected and proof of compliance submitted to the Licensing section before the state retail alcoholic beverage license will be issued.
  3. A copy of the purchase agreement, if the applicant is purchasing the premises to be licensed, OR the rent or lease agreement, if the applicant is renting or leasing the premises, OR, if the applicant owns the premises, proof of ownership.
  4. If the applicant is a corporation, LLC or partnership, provide documentation verifying the ownership of the entity applying for license. If the applicant is a nonprofit corporation or cooperative association, provide documentation verifying the officers and board of directors/trustees or full governing board provided on the application form.

The state retail alcoholic beverage laws are contained in North Dakota Century Code Title 5

Additional regulations are contained in North Dakota Administrative Code Art 10-08.

Licensed establishments are prohibited from dispensing or allowing the consumption of alcoholic beverages on licensed premises:

  • Between 2:00 AM and 8:00 AM on any day of the week;
  • After 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve, and all of Christmas Day;
  • No off-sale after 2:00 AM on Thanksgiving Day or between 2:00 AM and 8:00 AM on Sundays.

There may be local ordinances that are more restrictive, therefore be certain to check with the city or county that has local jurisdiction over the specific premises. 

  • Report violations of the alcoholic beverage laws to the local law enforcement agency. 
How do I start a business in Horace?

Events and Communications

How can I volunteer for a City event?

The City always welcomes volunteers from the community and we thank you for your interest! You can volunteer by either emailing us at or by calling our main line at (701) 492-2972.

Where can I rent an event?

If you are sponsoring an event and want to reserve a shared facility for your get-together, the following list of contacts can make reservations for you. Call at least a couple weeks in advance to confirm the facility is available at the time and date of your event. The representative will explain cost and expectations for using the facility.

There are two public event centers in Horace:

Horace Senior Center
(701) 282-8240

Horace Fire Hall

How can I submit an idea to Horace Happenings?

If you have something you feel is of interest, whether it's information, recognition, a recipe, or a photo, you are welcome to submit them by doing any of the following:


Mail to:
Horace Happenings
215 Park Dr E
Horace, ND 58047

In Person:
Stop in and say hi! Bring in your idea, and if it's a photo, we will scan a copy so that you can retain the original.

*Please be reminded that if you do not want to lose your original photo, it would be best to provide us with a high-resolution photocopy or scan.


Where do I vote?

For information on voting, visit Vote.ND.Gov here or visit our Elections & Voting page here.
Where can I find information on special assessments?

Find information on the Horace Zoning and Subdivision Code Project here.
Are the City Council meetings livestreamed?

The City Council meetings are currently not live-streamed.